From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:05:02 EST
I am sure that you all have either read or seen the Petsmart Posts on
the FML.  After reading yesterday's post, I contacted Mr. Jim Davis at
623-587-2513, Customer Service Manager.  Mr. Davis has replyed that they
will, in light of previous experience and contacts by several rescues,
only sell babies that are 12 weeks and old, the babies will be fixed
(descenting is not a necessity but they are doing it anyway), fully
vaccinated for both distemper (2 shots) and rabies.  Not that their
selling ferrets and using these guidelines really makes it any better
to sell ferrets, they have stated officially that they will interview
all prospects including a mini-survey to make sure the person understands
the basic needs.

Petsmart has also agreed to the following: They will endorse a rescue in
place of selling ferrets in any location where a ferret shelter is local
and is willing to make an appearance once a month.  And so, if you would
like to register with Petsmart as a ferret shelter, you can call Anita
at 1-800-738-1385 x. 2884.  She will be more than happy to set up as the
ferret adoption contact.  But again, they would like at least once a
month (any day of the week) for the rescue to come into the store even
for an hour and just make your appearance known.  Their sales associates
will pass our your business cards for anyone looking to adopt.  This was
what was stated to me.  I have not called this Anita as of yet but I was
told by Mr. Davis, this is their standpoint.  So any rescues, shelters,
halfway houses, etc., contact Anita at Petsmart and let them know that
you have ferrets available to adopt.  Mr. Davis has stated to me that
they WILL NOT SELL FERRETS IF A SHELTER IS PRESENT TO ADOPT FERRETS OUT.
So please call and lets cut down on the places they can sell ferrets to.

Sincerely,
Dawn Smith