From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:34:38 -0400
<...do not give her up....>

Bill -
     Thank you for making the point about visually impaired ferrets!  It is
true that such ferrets can -- with the measures you described -- continue
to enjoy life.  Loki, my first ferret sure did.  She lost her vision during
her adult years but compensated so well for her loss that my friends and a
number of vets were skeptical that she was indeed blind!
      Her lack of vision was confirmed by the veterinary ophthamologist at
Cornell University.  The blindness was attributed to a taurine deficiency;
I was told not even a trace amount was found in her blood profile!
Apparently the taurine in her diet of ferret kibble was insufficient or was
not absorbed/utilized properly.  A taurine supplement was prescribed and
follow-up bloodwork done.  Although this did not reverse her blindness, it
"prevented" further deterioration(s) which would be attributed to this
deficieny.
     At any rate, we enjoyed each other until her passing at the age of 8
last year.
Irene and "Kids"