Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:02:25 -0500
What goes into your ferret MUST come out. This takes place 13 yrs ago.
I am relatively new to ferrets at the time, I have several kits that
I took from Pat N. back in 2001 when she had her hands full with an
epidemic in her shelter. The kits loved Cheweasels and we handed
them out like candy to the ferrets. Pat was my mentor she taught me
everything I know and then some. When there was anything I did not know
or understand going on at the time, I'd pick up the phone to call her.

However it is important to note that we work and sleep on opposite ends
of the clock, I am up at 3 am she is going to bed at 3 am.

This one particular morning it is roughly 8:30 AM - I am cleaning cages
and picking up playroom papers, I find a small walnut size slime poo
coming out of Sam. I stood there watching him go and this awful looking
stuff is just running out of him. I thought his insides were oozing out
of his body!.

In a panic, I pick up the phone to call Pat, by this time I am shaking,
crying and trying to keep from squeezing Sam to death because I am
hugging him so hard thinking he is dying. Sam of course is looking
at me like I have lost my last noodle! Pat picks up the phone in an
obvious sleep stupor and I start rattling all of what is going on.

Pat is half asleep and I am crying so hard she can only make out bits
and pieces of what I am saying. Pat finally gets me calmed down enough
so that I can explain what has happened. As all experienced ferret
owners do, Pat started asking me all the questions that needed to be
answered. As I am answering each and every question my little gray
cells kick in and start working. All of a sudden I say "OH PAT I AM SO
SORRY", now Pat is confused and wants to know what I am talking about.

I said, I just remembered I gave Sam and the 2 others some Cheweasels
before I left for work this morning; its Cheweasels poo! Sam was known
for eating his and then stealing the others before they could finish.
Both Pat and I got a chuckle out of my panic and inexperience.

A very happy ending on my end, a sleepless morning for Pat and a
learning experience I have never forgotten, what goes in must come
out; so pay attention to what's going in.

Brenda Johnson
Shelter Director
www.ferretfarm.org
https://www.facebook.com/LakeroadFerretFarm