From:
Dale Nupp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 02:10:32 -0400
Hello All:

Dr. Williams Wrote:

>Dear Tracy J:
>A competent surgeon makes for the fastest recovery.  Your idea of a
>separate cage is a good one - I generally wait 4-6 days before allowing the
>post-op ferret to mix with the others - long enough to know that there is
>no seepage from the incision, and that there is minimal inflammation.  If
>the ferret is showing any pain at the incision when you clean it (which you
>should do daily with a bit of hydrogen peroxide), I would hold off a bit
>too.  Unde supervision, you can allow a little mingling, but let's not let
>them sleep or romp together for a while.

I might add an addendum from my vet who suggested to me that unsupervised
play should not occur until stitches are removed.  He indicated that on two
occassions, stitches were pulled out from his patients during play and were
not discovered by the owner until infection had set in.  (My vet was not
willing to say whether or not he felt that the human was a responsible pet
owner).  Its been a while since I've had a fuzzy go under the knife but my
recollection is that stitches are normally removed between seven and 10
days.

Dale

Missing Burt