From:
Mary Catharine Kuruziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 10:50:05 -0500
Amy Smock wrote:

>I am interested in getting rid of my 2 female marshall ferrets <snip> I am
>interested in getting rid of them asap.

I understand that this person no longer wishes to have these ferrets as
pets.  I understand also, the situation other people find themselves in with
pets they can't keep, be they ferrets, cats, dogs, etc.  So I am not flaming
anyone here.

But *please* can we stop referring to the need to take this action as
"getting RID of" the animal.  These are lives we are talking about, not
garbage, or inanimate objects.  The more people read and hear those words,
the more the idea gets planted that any animals life is worthless, easily
disposed of.  Especially children, who ought not hear adults speak this way.
It sounds so barbaric and cold and is so demeaning.

Trash and garbage, we "get rid of"...but when it comes to these situations
with our ferrets (or other pets), can we all just learn to say "find another
home for" instead?  It might go a long way to teaching compassion for the
lives of those who don't speak for themselves and find themselves at our
mercy and in our care.

I make a motion that no one on this list use that expression ever again in
reference to a ferret...do I hear any seconders for it?

Mary Catharine Kuruziak, co-founder
Ferret Foster Homes of Niagara (FFHON)
Ontario, Canada