From:
KIMBERLY RICHARDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:10:11 PDT
Please help!  I am afraid to vaccinate my ferrets now.  Two of our ferrets
had reactions to their vaccines earlier this year and I don't know if it
was the Imrab3 or FervacD.  Now, it's time for two other ferrets to be
vaccinated next week, I called a new vet that we found closer to us, Dr.
Langford in Jacksonville Beach (we have still been using our vet in our old
hometown two hours from here)and thought we'd go to him instead of taking
the long drive.  His office does not use FervacD, they use vaccines used by
some Ford Dodge company or something like that, they do use Imrab3.  I said
that we can only use FervacD and Imrab3 and the receptionist said that they
vaccinate hundreds of ferrets successfully with this other stuff, and she
asked where did I hear that these vaccines were best/recommended?

I didn't tell her the Internet because every vet I talk to says don't
believe what you read on the Net.  This frustrates me to no end.  They
don't understand that there is a mailing list that people post on including
veterinarians, where we share information and experiences, much like you
would with a friend or pen-pal- I don't see any difference.  (But that's
another argument.)  Anyway, So I asked her to talk to Dr. Langford and see
if he could order the FervacD since my vet back home orders it for me and
does not ask any questions.  The receptionist called me back and said that
Dr. Langford said that it is no longer necessary to vaccinate against
Canine distemper once a ferret has received a couple of boosters.  I have
not herad that anywhere.

I asked my hometown vet about it and he said that it is necessary to keep
vaccinating for distemper.  Now I am terribly confused.  I don't know what
vaccine is safe and even if it is necessary.  If it's not necessary, than
I would probably not vaccinate the other two who had reactions.  I would
still do rabies of course.  Please help, I only have a week to figure this
out before I bring my two littlest babies to the vet back home.

Thanks and hugs to everyone and their fuzzies!

Kimberly and her heavenly seven. (Not!)