From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:17:56 -0400
In case the dysuria post also appears here on the FML these have the
information which can help you and your vet:

http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/prostate.txt
(Most urinary blockage problems in ferrets trace back to adrenal
problems.)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=1491
(Possible dietary causes of crystals in urine and what to do about
those.)

http://www.petcarevabeach.com/pen1.html
(A vet's How-to on rerouting a ferret who is blocking from stones.)

Medications are not curative for adrenal disease, though there may be
some cases of neoplasia in which they may shrink the growths.  For a
healthy 3 year old you want to go with the surgical approach, though your
vet will want to read up the operation and how to do anesthesia safely
for ferrets beforehand.  I recommend the following for you and your vet:

the above post in smartgroups,
the critical refs http://www.ferretcongress.org,
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org,
and ESPECIALLY the following two:
http://www.westendanimal.com/ for Dr. Kemmerer's video which teaches
so much and which I think includes adrenal ops (We are on an
austerity budget so I have to wait to order myself a copy)
and Dr. Karen Purcell's vet text which has step by step operation
info:  _Essentials of Ferrets_ ISBN 0-941451-73-9, AAHA Press
1-800-252-2242, 12575 W Bayaud Ave, Lakewood, CO 80228

You can medicate in the meantime with Lupron or with Lupron and melatonin
(Melatonin alone is not shown to provide the possible safety margin seen
with Lupron.)  Your vet can find this in small enough amounts by using a
number of the compounding pharmacies which ship listed in
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/ReferenceShelf/comp_pharm.html

Alternatively you can travel to a vet who is listed as a ferret vet
in one of thse listings (all differ):
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/ReferenceShelf/FerretVets.htm
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/vets/ Search by zip code, read FAQ first.
http://www.quincyweb.net/quincy/vet.html