From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 17:05:29 -0500
Hi All,

I have recently run across a web site that is VERY concerning to me.  It
has been put together by the Public Health Veterinarian Coalation Committee
(PHVCC) of the American Association of Public Health Verterinarians (AAPHV)
as a YEAR 2000 ACTION PLAN.  It can be seen at
http://www.avma.org/aaphv/year2000.html
and is worth a look.  The main PHVCC page was last updated January 12,
1997, but I am unsure when the Year 200 page was last updated or revised.
The AAPHA is a division of the American Veterinary Medical Association and
their web site is updated quite often.

The some information from the site reads:

   "During the past ten years, the European ferret (Mustela putorius furo)
   has become increasingly popular as a pet.  Public health officials,
   however, have not endorsed the ferret as a household companion based on
   two issues: reports of serious injuries inflicted by ferrets on infants
   and young children and a lack of data on the pathogenesis of rabies in
   ferrets."

   "b) Based on the above information, the Council of State and Territorial
   Epidemiologists and the National Association of State Public Health
   Veterinarians recommend the following:

      1. develop public information for people who own or are contempl
      ating owning ferrets that includes the risk and benefits of ferret
      ownership, and how to select, train, and confine ferrets to reduce
      bite to humans,

      2. widely publicize the risk that ferrets pose for inflicting in
      jurious bites to infants and small children,

      3. conduct suitable epidemiologic studies to identify the risk
      factors for ferret bites relative to bites of other animals; and,

      4. conduct appropriate scientifically designed studies on ferrets to
      establish the period of rabies virus shedding prior to onset of
      definitive signs."

The earliest references used to form these opinions were from 1991 and the
oldest from 1979.

   "The AVMA recognizes that ferrets (Mustela putorius furo) are being kept
   as pets and for research purposes.  In those states or areas where
   ferret ownership is legal, the AVMA recommends:

      1. Responsible ferret ownership: This includes knowledge pertaining
      to ferret husbandry (care, nutrition, housing, and species' habits).
      It is also recommended that no ferret be left unattended with any
      individual incapable of removing himself or herself from the ferret.

      2.  Proper veterinary care: This includes preventative medicine and,
      when needed, medical or surgical care.  Ferrets should be vaccinated
      against rabies, canine distemper and other diseases for which a
      licensed vaccine exists for use in ferrets.

   It is also important for ferret owners to understand that the shedding
   period for the rabies virus is unknown.  This may mean that, in case of
   a ferret bite, public health officials may require euthanasia and rabies
   testing regardless of the immunization status."

I have sent the AVMA an e-mail asking if this is the latest greatest
update.  I have yet to hear from them, but it is a holiday weekend.

I will keep you all posted when I hear back from them.  In the meantime -
what can we do to change this?

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"