From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 10:59:45 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Tracy & Aaron McAlpine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seeking Vet Advice
>I am taking my cherished Pinky to vet on Wednesday, March 12, for her 3
>month check-up.  Suggestions or advice from vets would be appreciated.

Ketoconazole has not been shown to work in ferrets.  There has been a lot of
trials with it (especially for the Lysodren resistent ferrets) but no one
has published a report of successful treatment and I have not heard any
anecdotal success stories.

>From:    dave adams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cushing syndrome test
>I will say hello to everyone first of all.  Quick bio ref ferrets.  We have
>a total currently of twelve fuzzies of which four have had adrenal tumors
>both single and dual.  We have lost two in the past one due to instestinal

In dogs and people, hyperadrenocorticism or Cushing disease or 'hyper
adrenal disease' is characterized by high levels of a steroid termed
cortisol that is secreted into the urine.  Certain serum:urine cortisol
levels can be diagnostic of hyperadrenocorticism.  (Hyper) Adrenal disease
in ferrets do not typically have a high cortisol hence the test doesn't
work.  Too many false negatives.  You need to test for all the steroids and
hormones characteristic of ferret adrenal disease.  The University of
Tennessee ferret adrenal panel does that.

>From:    artemis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Can Scent glands regrow?
>Hi everyone,
>I have a really odd question that I hope someone can help me with.  I have
>a 1 1/2 year old siamese ferret named Rikkitikkitavi that was neutered but
>not descented...

No they don't regrow.  There is probably some left from the original surgery.
These glands are all so small and have blood vessels and nerves in the same
area.  Very delicate surgery and it is common to leave a little behind.

>From:    Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Flea Control
>My ferret has picked up fleas from my dogs who always bring them home from
>the other dogs in the neighborhood.  I use Frontline and Adams products

Kitten safe (even more sensitive than greyhounds) products are okay.  I
dispense Program commonly and there have been numerous reports of Frontline
being used also wqith no ill effect, but I have no personal experience with
that.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA