From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:33:27 -0500
>case was hidden till now).  Well, there is a HYPOTHESIS (not a known fact)
>that sugar may be bad for ferrets with insulinoma, and the hypothesis
>makes sense (though no one knows if it is true or not) due to yo-yoing of
>levels -- BUT that hypothesis falls apart with those in late insulinoma
>because to two things: in late insulinoma the insulinoma suppress normal
>insulin-producing tissues and become the primary makers of insulin, AND
>because insulinomae are NOT responsive to blood-glucose-levels.  As a
>result, in an advanced case of insulinoma the recommendation made would
>NOT fit under the hypothesis.

This is all fine and dandy, but regardless of insulinoma or not, when has
it *ever* been healthy to feed a ferret sugar?  Aside from the obvious, of
course (during a seizure or insulinomic episode).  You don't see polecats
eating Yogi's by the handful out in the wild, do you?  I couldn't believe
when I read the label that cautioned "Do not feed more than 10 or 12 per
day" - talk about a sugar rush!  I don't mean to single out Yogi's - there
are many unhealthy treats out there for ferrets I just don't have the time
to write them all down <g>

Ferret treats can be anything - as long as the ferret thinks it *is* a
treat (try hand feeding kibble or pieces of meat, etc.).  I can't count
the number of times I've read, "I don't know why my ferrets don't like
raisins, how can I get them to eat them?" My question - "Why would you
want to?"

I freely admit to being a treat nazi and the only sugary treats my guys
get are their hairball remedies (other treats consist of Ferretone and
meat treats) .  There is enough sugar in their regular kibble, it's not
healthy to feed a box of raisins a day whether they have insulinoma or
not.

Just my opinion!

Mary

Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Assn of Centre County
www.ferretrescue.com