From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 18:06:01 +0800
>From:    "S.HEWETT" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Early Alters in Australia
>Here in Western Australia, until last year, we preferred that females not
>undergo altering at all, unless there was a medical or geographical (e.g.
>rural ferret owners with no access to vas. hob) reason for doing so.  When
>it was found that quite a few of the older females were developing ovarian
>tumours, we changed our tune somewhat, and recommend neutering at 6 months
>if not to be bred from.

Am I the only one that is seriously concerned about this?  If it took
until JUST LAST YEAR to figure out that leaving a jill unspayed was not
healthy for her, how can we trust information coming from Australia
regarding any Adrenal studies?  And the thing that scars me the most about
not recommending altering of a jlll is aplastic anemia.  What happens if
somebody has a jill and just lets her go without being safely taken out of
season?  She suffers and dies?  Will she be bred irresponsibility?  Will
she suffer from undue stress from hormonal changes and being put with a
v-hob?  How about the stress she will suffer when she has no kits?  Will
she get fed like she is pregnant?

In my opinion, this is NOT responsible behavior from a shelter, breeder, a
vet, and especially a FERRET CLUB!  With all the information available on
ferrets, why was the fact of altering a jill ignored?

[PI]