From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 20:38:35 -0500
Hello,
Several weeks ago I promised to provide you with information on how to
propose the Domestic Ferret as a subject for a U.S. stamp.  According to the
letter received from the Postal Service, there are 12 major criteria guiding
U.S.  commemorative stamps and stationery subject selection.  It would
appear that the criteria which could impact on our efforts are as follows:

1. It is a general policy that U.S. postage stamps and stationery primarily
   will feature American or American-related subjects.
2. Only...themes of widespread national appeal and significance will be
   considered for commemoration.
3. No stamp shall be considered for issuance if one treating the same
   subject has been issued in the past ten years.  (This rule gains
   significance if one considers the fact a stamp featuring the American BFF
   is slated for issuance this October.)

Certainly a case in favor of the Domestic Ferret can be made.  An even
stronger one can be made if the above rules are incorporated into the
argument.

If you are an American FML subscriber and are interested in joining this
effort, send your ideas to the:
                 Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee
                 c/o Stamp Management
                 U.S. Postal Service
                 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW
                 Room 4474EB
                 Washington, DC  20260-6756

If each American FML subscriber would send a letter in support of the
Domestic Ferret as a suitable subject we **might** have an impact on their
decision.  We will never know unless we give this a try!