From:
Veronica <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 21:14:37 -0700
I have also had ferrets and reptiles for several years.  I agree with
Wolfy that it is very possible to keep the two species under the same
roof.  I have had an iguana for 7 years, snakes for about 4 and ferrets
for 2 1/2.  They have always shared the same room and have acces to the
same portions of the house.  The reptiles would certainly have the worse
end of the deal if encountered.  They all have their "out time".  All
play time is regulated.  Since the ferrets sleep so much this is easy to
do.  When the ferts are asleep the iguana can come out.  The snakes are
always held when they're out so we don't worry about contact with them.
It's all about timing and supervison.  One snake (one of two ball
pythons) is at floor level.  He's newer here at only being with us for
about 6 months.  He doesn't seem fazed at all.  Very active and eats
well.

Even my 4' iguana would be shredded if let out at the same time as the
ferrets.  As far as stress...you can tell.  There would be a lack of
eating, bad behaviour, hiding more than normal.  When the ferrets come
close they will either retreat further (snakes/igs) or go into a
defensive posture (igs).  There is always a sense of curiosity on the
ferrets part in anything new that comes in.  The new cage I built brought
the ig closer to them and the screen for them to climb on.  AS with all
things ferret...there is a time of exploration of something new.  After a
while...several days possibly...the new wears off and they go about their
ferrety business.

The person Wolfy had mentioned...Gail Elsey...is one of the founders of
http://www.scalesand tails.org.  She concentrates on ferret and iguana
rescue.  She has one room for the ferrets, and another for the reptiles.
They are kept quite seperate from each other.  She has quite a few to
deal with though.  This is the only way to keep multiple reptiles and
ferrets together and safe.

Veronica

 ,,
Henry Co. Humane Society