Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:12:11 -0800
Hi, all.

I met a little girl the other day.  I shouldn't say little, she earned
the title "Grandmother" by being nearly seven years old!  Her name is
Grandmother Beanie.

Beanie came across the Bridge very easily, no need for a recovery
hammock, here!  Her walk was very calm and determined.  Her nose was
moist, and her whiskers shone around her face.  Her coat was a warm
cinnamon.

I had a talk with her, and with her Brother Kodo, who waited several
years to see his sister again.  Beanie is really very well spoken for
a ferret.  Many of us speak mostly in a language of touches and smells,
but not Beanie.  Kodo is quite articulate as well.

They had lovely things to say about their Mommie, Fran.  They had some
funny stories to tell about her as well.  It was so much fun to make her
bend over with a paper towel and pick up poops!  Some day, a long time
from now, they will see her again.

Beanie and Kodo and I strapped on our wings and flew to the Field of
Rasin Vines.  It's sort of like a field of grape vines growing on low
to the ground wooden arbors, only the grapes are all the sweetest, most
moist rasins.  You can nibble them directly from the vine, right out in
the sunshine!  Nothing, but nothing is as good as sun-warmed rasins!

We climbed the vines, or stood on our back feet and nibbled until we were
satisfied.  When our bellies were round, we walked a short distance to a
fast moving, cold stream and drank our fill.  It was such a good day!

Beanie is going to hang her hammie with Kodo, at least until she gets
her bearings.  Kodo sleeps in a little cave dug into the fragrant dirt of
the cliff across from that stream.  Many swallows and mud-daubing birds
make that cliff their home as well.  Kodo has lined his little cave with
a soft layer of milkweed puffs that he has collected from the nearby
fields.  Sometimes, when the wind blows strong, the puffs blow from the
cave and dance in the wind!

I met a little girl named Snowie, too.  I was a little worried about her,
because she had no Brothers or Sisters in Fur here on this side of the
Bridge.  In many cases like this, I like to introduce the new arrival to
a clan of wild Black-Footed ferrets.  They can certainly be wild, staying
up and partying and wardancing all night, but they have a tremendous
sense of family, and are always happy to embrace a singleton, and make
him or her at home with them.

Snowie told me that she had been dreaming of the Bridge for some time,
she was very excited to begin her new life here in the Afterworld,
although she felt very badly about her Mommy.  Her Mommy Carrie was so
sad, so scared to lose her!

Snowie said that her passing was really very gentle.  She passed in her
sleep.  She said that on her last night, her Mommy wrapped her in a warm
towel, and rocked her in her strong, but gentle arms.  Snowie said that
it was a kindness that she would never forget.  Some day, a long time
from now, Snowie will thank her Mommie personally.

Well, I introduced Snowie to one of my favourite groups of wild
Black-Footed ferrets.  Twee, Zaa, Kaalo, Cloud, and Tik.  These folks
just hate to be alone.  Some think that they are stuck up because they
always form groups amongst themselves.  Really, it's just that they can't
bear to be alone.  They promised me that they would take Snowie to their
camp and throw a big welcoming party with drums and a dance for her.
She will make other friends in time, but once you have been adopted by
the wilds, you are always welcome, and you need never be alone.

They were very impressed with Snowie's fur, they kept stroking her sides
and rubbing up against her.  As you might imagine, there aren't many
albino Black-Footed ferrets!  I know that Snowie will be in good paws
with them!

Back to work!
Sandee