From:
Katrina D Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 11:05:49 -0400
To: Shelly and Vanilla
     I used to have a ferret who would only eat Meow Mix, and whenever I would
try to substitute any kind of cat or ferret food which was even remotely
healthy, she would choose to eat my throw rugs over real food. I never got her
off of Meow Mix and she did actually like Nutrical, but I didn't want to give
that as a treat on a regular basis. I've tried many things with other ferrets
I've had. At first they didn't really like chicken baby food, but I put a dab
on their nose a few times, and then they started begging for the stuff. Other
things I've had luck with are: raisins, pear (without the skin and in small
pieces), bing cherry pieces (remove stem and pit), cucumbers, peanut oil, and
sometimes Gerber baby cereal. Chicken baby food works the best for me though.

Re: Abuse
     A few years ago a friend of mine said there were two ferrets that needed a
new home. A 17 year old boy had them, didn't clean the cage, never played or
petted them, and crammed waffles through the bars for food every day. My friend
picked one up and got bitten pretty badly. This ferret had been so abused it
was very scared and hated everybody. The mother had told the boy that they'd be
killed if he didn't find a new home. My sister has had them for awhile now, and
she has two sweet, very loved and pampered ferrets. I'm so glad they had a
chance to go to a good home.                                   KR