From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:20:10 -0400
>One of the things I'm wondering about is that, I recently read an
>article in the vets office that an adrenal ferret won't grow their
>fur back. Does this mean permanently grow back as in to stay, or
>does this mean not grow it back at all?

I think perhaps what you heard and read was a little bit misleading.
For an actively *adrenal* ferret that's nearly true.  They are unlikely
to grow a full coat of fur back while the disease persists.  Some will
grow fur in cycles though, and some lose little fur at all.

Once you have the diseased glands removed though, then that's a
different story.  Most ferrets will usually grow their fur back after
surgery.  Medication will also help some ferrets grow fur back, but
that doesn't cure the disease and some medicated ferrets will lose
their fur again as the disease progresses.

Note that even with surgery, sometimes the surgeon misses a piece of
the gland, or the other gland becomes diseased, and the ferret will
start showing signs of adrenal disease again after a recovery period.
Just be aware that surgery IS the best option if the ferret can take
it, but it doesn't always cure the problem permanently the first time.

roger