From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:23:06 -0800
On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Bruce Williams wrote:

Hi Dr. Williams,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice.  Minnie's perkier than ever,
and friendlier, too, I think as a result of depending on me during stressful
times - and maybe she's even a wee bit thankful she feels so good, now!
But, boy, she's still a hopeless flirt!  This morning I let her out and she
climbed in to Tarzan's bedroom, attracting Tarzan and three neutered boys
into the close quarters to boot!

I still have a couple followup questions, which I hope are worthwhile.
Thought it would be easier to ask now, while you're familiar with the
history.

>I think at this point, we can probably wait on the ultrasound.  Many
>ferrets have murmurs, but not all murmurs are associated with disease
>(the so-called "physiologic murmurs".  She's had her surgery, she
>seems bright and active....

Does this mean that medication isn't necessary until symptoms arise (though
hopefully they won't!)?  There must be different treatments for heart
murmurs arising from valve or septal defects, or from cardiomyopathy, or I
guess there wouldn't be much reason to do an ultrasound.  I know from the
FAQ that cardiomyopathy is pretty much fatal, but how are valve and septal
defects treated?

>would proceed when early signs of heart disease - lethargy, lack of
>appetite are seen.  Thoracic surgery in ferrets is rarely done, and only
>at large veterinary institutions.

Are there other signs I can look for, more specific cues such as coughing
and shortness of breath...  since lethargy and lack of appetite can also be
signs of infection (as in January)?  Would I have time to try antibiotics to
treat for an infection, in the case of lethargy and loss of appetite, before
going to the ultrasound?

>>Minnie got a "CardioPet" ECK test before spay surgery.  The doctor said
>this was necessary to determine if she was safe for surgery,...  an
>electrical pattern ...  that could cause her to quickly die under
>isoflourane (only) anesthesia.

But was the ECG a necessary prerequisite in determining if it was safe to
anesthetize Minnie for surgery?  Three doctors had rated her murmur 3/6,
but is it the _type_ of electricity activity, in addition to the severity
of the murmur, that determines the risk of anesthetizing?

> Patent ductus arteriosus is an uncommon condition ...ing from a

Thank you for eliminating this from my worries Dr.  Williams!  Hm.  I'll
have to ask the vet about this, as he said PDA was a definite option (though
he didn't know the risk or cost) - maybe it is for cats and dogs - and was
the main reason for doing an ultrasound now.  He said that, if Minnie had
PDA, an operation at this point would alleviate further heart disease and
ultimately save Minnie's life.