From:
Minta Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:34:45 -0800
I don't know exactly how to word the title of this post, if I could put
in all the important information it would probably be really long.  But
here is my possibly wacky question: Public Radio in Oregon yesterday was
reporting a virus was found in the lungs of an aborted calf, I cannot
spell this virus nor at the moment can I remember the name (should have
done this yesterday), but it "mimics" hoof and mouth disease, only this
virus can be spread to humans and other species.  They said it can
manifest itself in humans and other species as hepatitis-like symptoms, or
spontaneous abortions.  I was listening to this, and then I thought, my
ferret Linus has had hepatitis for 2 years.  Where'd he get it?  Is it
really hepatitis?  I have no idea what his life was like his first 1 1/2
years.  Apparently the US government says they eradicated this virus in
the '50s, but it has been found recently.  They don't want to admit this
fact because it could be used by other countries to keep U.S.  meat out
(according to OPB).

I hope that didn't sound stupid, clearly too much NPR on the brain.  I was
thinking about it, and I don't think Linus has given his hepatitis to any
of the other ferrets; but then, I never knew he had it, and where did he
get it in the first place?  Does that just "happen" in ferrets sometimes?
He was diagnosed such a long time ago (and tons of things have happened
since), I know I asked his vet but I can't remember the answer.  I can
just remember being vaguely unsatisfied.  I know the vet was concerned
about another of my ferrets possibly having the Aleutions virus, as she
wasn't responding to medication quite the way he had hoped.  So I know
he is quite an active vet in the ferret community, and very up to date.

Anyway, probably no one has an answer to that.  But please don't laugh at
me for asking!

Minta