From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:04:34 -0400
>From:    Reet <[log in to unmask]>

I'm sorry you received such email.

>This person 'spoke for the whole list' in thier reply.  Apparently, I do
>not understand this 'community' of 'animal lovers', and I am degrading the
>list with my disgusting talk of feeding my animal 'other animals', and that
>this was a huge blow against people trying to convince people that ferrets
>are domesticated.

Hmm.  Well.  They weren't speaking for me, nor for many other people on the
list.  Some folks prefer to keep their heads in the sand when it comes to
realizing that their cute wittle fuzzy wuzzy pets are carnivores, which do
indeed eat other animals.  Whether they get those animals in kibble form or
whole form they are still eating other animals.  The only difference is
that they don't have to think about it if they feed kibble, because it's so
far removed from the animal it came from.  And another difference is that
it may indeed be better for the ferret (or other carnivore) to get their
diet as a whole form, since that's what their bodies were designed to eat.
My own vet, when I told her that I was feeding Totally Ferret, said "you
should be feed them totally mice." :-)

>As far as I was aware, this was a list for ferret owners about their
>ferrets and ferret care, not a select group of people who are 'right'.
>If I am wrong, please tell me, and I'll unsubscribe right away.

I know it seems that way many times, and in truth, it's very common on
animal lists.  Please don't unsubscribe to the FML, but if you'd care to
talk about feeding mice, or other types of "whole" diets, you could
subscribe to "ferretfeed" at www.onelist.com.  Click on Animals, then Pets,
then go to ferretfeed to subscribe.  The list is for discussion of such
diets, and is not for debate about the "rightness" or not of such diets.
Flamers will be removed.  The list is a bit slow right now, but we'd be
happy to welcome new members.

Karen
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures...
Remember when someone annoys you that it takes 42 muscles to frown,
but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head.
;-)
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html