From:
catherine williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:24:06 -0500
        Reading about allergies of ferrets in a previous article was one
that I can relate to because my ferret WEAZER has allergies to feathers
and cats I found this out the hard way because one evening the day before
labor day he was spazing out wheezing and coughing.  In a panic I found
an exotics VET open on labor day so I took him in because he was not
breathing correctly.  I was in a panic because whatever was wrong with
him, it looked as if he was going to die.
        The vet assured that nothin was wrong he listeed to his lungs
which were clear as crystal the wheezing sound he was making was in his
nasal area.  He explained that it was what he called an internal sneeze
trying to clear his allergie.  This is a common problem with cats and
dogs as well.  He injected him with a shot that would stop the reaction
from proceding and six hours later he was just as bouncy and rambunctious
as ever acting as if nothing had happen.
        the reason he has an allergy is because of cats.  You see a
friend of mine owns seven cats and everytime he comes over now my ferret
starts wheezing. Now I eliviate this problem by puting him away from
what causes the allergy, and he gets all better.
        If your ferret has a wheezing problem where it looks like he has
a hard time breathing take him to the vet to make sure in the mean time
keep him away from what you think may cause it and it should clear up.