From:
Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 18:23:39 -0400
One of my foster ferrets is a hunter too.  My best friend is dating a guy
that works in a pet store.  He told me about a ferret that had been in his
store for most of its life.  Since my ex and I had just split and he was
taking Maggie to live with him, I encouraged him to get the ferret at the
pet store to be a brother to Mags.  Well, he took me up on the suggestion
and got Jasper from the store.  A few weeks after Scott had taken Jasper,
Luke (my friend's SO) said, "Oh yeah Laura, did I tell you?  Jasper killed a
baby rabbit at the store once." Which kind of shocked me as Jasper is an
especially lovey boy.  Seems that somehow Jasper got into a box with a baby
rabbit (I'm not clear on how and he didn't elaborate) and killed and
partially ate him.

The other 4 have never been exposed to rodents or lagomorphs so I don't know
if a hunter lurks in them.  But I think it's important to remember that even
if there are the hunting ferrets, even if they were to get outside, they
would probably be killed by better predators then they are (cats, dogs,
hawks, humans, the occasional Ford Thunderbirds) before they could really do
any damage.  On an interesting note, Jasper is the ferret who fell out a two
story window and was lost for 3 days.  When Scott finally found him, Jasper
lived in front of the Totally Ferret bowl for the next day or two.  So even
though he did kill that rabbit, he either couldn't or didn't kill anything
to eat while he was lost.

Laura