From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:50:32 EDT
In the last several weeks I've been bombarded with ferret give-ups.
Although we're an exotic animal shelter, we do take in ferrets as they hold
a special place in my heart.  Besides our 20 personal fuzzies we have about
10 available for adoption.  They range in age, temperament, health and, of
course, personality.  If you live close to Chicago and want a special
little guy (or two), please e-mail me privately.  In addition, the Greater
Chicago Ferret Association in Lyons, Illinois went from 97 ferrets to about
85 (with a waiting list for give-ups) with a good weekend of adoptions.
WOW!  Shelters are a wonderful place to get great fuzzies!  Think of them
also if you're in the market for a new ferret.  They're an incredible
organization!!!

On a sad note, I lost a little guy yesterday morning, despite hourly
feedings through the night and administering fluids a couple times.  His
name was Ferris and he was dumped here just last week after having been a
wonderful pet for the same family for over 5 years.  He was the most
gorgeous dark, dark chocolate sable with a full hood.  He almost looked
solid brown.  He came in skinny, but sweeter than ever.  Loved to give
kisses.  I thought insulinoma immediately and a fasting blood glucose
confirmed it.  We started him on dexamethasone immediately and waited for
improvement.  His appetite was pretty good, despite what we found out
later.  Monday night I found him at the bottom of the cage with a few guys
curled up with him.  One was grooming his head lovingly.  He opened his
eyes, but didn't lift his head as I called to him.  His snooze sak was
covered in blood.  It wasn't the dark, tarry stool I'd seen before.  In
fact, I'd never seen this before.  The blood was bright, bright red
(undigested and coming from the end of the intestinal tract) and no stool
was present.  Our vet was over within minutes.  We hypothesized ulcers,
ruptured tumor in the colon and a few other things.  Surgery was out since
he was so weak.  I stayed up with him all night hoping he'd be strong
enough to withstand surgery in the morning, but he died in my arms about 12
hours later.  Of course I'm beating myself up wondering if I could've done
more for him or if I should've ended his suffering instead of riding it out
and hoping.  I feel stupid.  Necropsy showed fatty liver disease.  I'm not
exaggerating when I say his liver the was almost the color of tweety bird.
No functioning tissue left to form the blood clotting proteins in his body.
He pretty much bled to death internally.  We think it's because when the
lining of his intestinal tract shed naturally (this happens I think every 3
days or so), his body was unable to adequately form the cells to replace
the old lining.  In addition, he had insulinoma, right adrenal cancer and
shrunken kidneys (half normal size).  One kidney had a large urine filled
cyst attached to it.  I wish I knew more.

I have to say I'm so fed up with people today.  I don't feel like doing
this anymore.  Although the previous owners didn't even know he was sick,
nothing much could've been done for him (so my vet tells me......maybe to
ease my own guilt).  The fact still remains that I got so attached to him
in only a week, and he should've been with his family and cared for
appropriately to the bitter end by the people he came to love and trust.
Almost every ferret that's entered our house in the last year has been over
4 years old.  The reason for Ferris' abandonment...........his owner (a
teenager) broke curfew.  What do these parent think they're teaching this
kid?  Or any of the parents out their that show kids that pets are
disposable.  I just don't get it.  I'm sad.  I'm angry and I'm discouraged.
I just needed to vent to people I think will understand.  Thanks.

Kim
Animals For Awareness