Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:35:34 -0500
Ingrid and MD Ferret PAWS: I agree, you were the only organization
involved in the Ferret Protection Act in Maryland (other individuals,
representing themselves, not PAWS or other organziations were very much
involved).  I'm sure you worked hard at getting it supported.  I know for
a fact that Michelle of your organization was a big help in getting the
current wording worked out, and making numerous phone calls to get this
pushed forward for the 2004 year.  But I think you aren't giving enough
credit to Barb Clay, who, while still a member of PAWS wrote the original
bill, and since being removed as a member of PAWS met numerous times with
the committeemen who introduced the bill.  When I say PAWS dropped the
ball, I'm refering to the committee meeting where it was voted on.  Where
two members of PAWS attended, and were asked to speak on behalf of the
bill.  They refused because they were not prepared.  If you worked so
hard at getting this bill to committee and supported, how could you not
be prepared?  (Barb was busy dealing with a large rescue at the time).

I agree, this bill would be great to pass in MD, and hopefully other
states would then follow through.  But when asking for a petition to be
signed, they will be looking for signatures from people from MD, the
state where the bill will actually be a law.  They want to know how many
people who live in MD support it, not how many from the whole world.
Signatures from outside of MD will be discounted.  So that's why I don't
believe that support from outside MD will be as useful as you are hoping.
But again, I support your efforts, just not the way that you have went
about so far in those efforts.  I will be linking the bill from all the
ferret related sites I host in hopes that it can get the most widespread
coverage.  I know last year it was posted on several ferret groups I
belong to, so I'm sure I'll see it posted again that way.  But please
remember, when you do advertise it, give credit where credit is due.

Linda