From:
Mattias Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:17:48 +0200
>From:    Ed Hoffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Animal Lovers Anonymous - Re: Defects??
>Ok, I truly understand why we should be more concerned with the "so
>called" breeders who don't take into consideration any of the animals
>past physical problems (i.e. deafness); the breeders are the problem not
>the animals.  The point is that why do some of you refer to "God's"
>creatures as "PRODUCTS"?  Do we do the same for our offspring when we now
>there is a chance for what some might call a "defect" as a result (no
>blond, short, bald, or 4 eyed jokes OK)?

The problem is that these beautiful adorable creatures are being mass
produced (by breeders) and sold for money.  Then market forces and the
ugly creature called "Profit" emerges and creates strange situations.

When Profit comes in to the picture, these animals become "products" that
anyone easily can purchase off-the-shelf.  "I'll have 1 panda and 2
albinos please".  This is what causes the breeders to alter these animals
to unnatural colors and attributes (with some "defects" along with it).

Don't get me wrong here.  I know that there are a lot of breeders here, and
most of you love these carpet monkeys deeply.  But please don't tell me
that the larger "Farms" do this because they are interested in the animal.
All corporations are interested in money.  That is the bottom line.

If there where the same industry for homo sapiens (I sure hope that it
won't come to that), I'm sure that off spring would be handled in the same
industrial way that the large ferret breeders handle their ferrets.  What
attributes do you want?  How long should it be?  Hair color?  etc etc...

Enough of my ramblings now.

/Mattias