From:
Marti Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:17:10 +0000
Loosewire is our new addition to our family, and our first one.  And we are
in love with him!!!!!

We have been having problems of him messing in the corners of his 3 tier
cage, and the first floor, on one end was his litter box, the other end was
his food area, well, he would use the litter box, but would go to the side
where the ramp led to the second floor, and mess in that corner, then we
would find on the second floor, which was his sleeping quarters, he would
randomly use any corner, and fortunately the third level was clean, but I
followed everyone recommended sugguestions, of cleaning, and trying to keep
him using the litter box.  I kept his cage clean, and replacing the kitty
litter every 3 days, but I finally ran out of kitty litter, and used PLAIN
WOOD SHAVINGS, and do you know, his corner messings instantly stopped.  So
this makes me believe, that at least my little guy does not like kitty
litter.  So if anyone else is having a problem of training their ferret to
using the litter box, try PLAIN WOOD SHAVINGS instead!

Our only other problem is....there is a small space under all cabinets that
he slithers up and under, and he is behind the kickplate of the cabinets, we
hear him scratching the board, but we cannot retrieve him, but wait till he
comes back out, fortunately is only within seconds, so I have taken many
handtowels and rolled them up and stuffed the space, so far, so good, except
I caught him lying on his back and intent in digging out the stuffed towels.
We found him one night crawling under the built in dishwasher, and we
quickly boarded up that area, guess that is what we will have to do for the
cabinets, but we think, once he is older (only 9 wks old now) and gets
bigger, we won't have a problem.

We love him to death, and agree, he is the best pet we have ever owned, and
enjoy watching him perform around the house.  He loves to play "chase" and
runs under the couch to hide.  And his fav. toy is the ferret ball that
squeaks.

Hopefully we will be getting another one, and hope this next one takes to me
as Loosewire has taken to my husband.  They seem to have a special bond,
sometimes I wish I was a ferret!!!!!!I am laughing out loud over that
statement ;)

Thank you for all your enjoyable letters, I am learning alot from you.

Sincerely,

Marti Smith
Marti Smith
http://www.tir.com/~44magnum