From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 23:16:15 -0400
Let's talk a little bit about shelters creating their own overpopulation
problem.  I realize that unfortunate situations like that exist, but to
generalize, & insinuate that shelter overpopulation is a result of
restrictive adoption requirements is ludicrous.  And to say that those
unfortunate shelters w/exorbitant outstanding expenses are a product of
their own making, is completely self-serving.

How many of you ferret foster moms/dads regularly get calls requesting
socially unacceptable or medically challenged ferrets?  I know I don't.
Those special individuals who come to my home w/an open mind & fall in love
w/an older ferret, knowing that their time together may be short-lived, are
few & far between.  I'm grateful to have had the good fortune to meet every
one of these unique individuals.

Most of the calls I get are looking for kits, or at least young ferrets.
MOF, not only do they want young, they want playful lap ferrets that are
100% litter trained & aren't destructive.  I don't get many ferrets that
fall into that category.  These same people, most of them 1st-timers, think
that by buying a kit they'll be able to create the perfect pet.  Many of the
ferrets I have surrendered to me are these same people, who obviously have
been unsuccessful & can no longer live w/missed litterboxes, shredded
carpet, & don't have the patience or the time to try to resolve the problem.
What it comes down to is that because their pet isn't perfect...they don't
want it anymore.  I've made it my responsibility to try to insure that this
scenario will not happen w/any of the ferrets in my care.  Many of our
ferrets have previously endured neglect from uninterested owners & have
already been given up multiple times.

Now for the money issue.  Should a shelter turn away a surrender dying of
diarrhea, because the owner can't be bothered taking care of it?  Maybe I
should draw the line at convenience surrenders emotionally & physically
withering away from neglect...they have a place to stay.  I guess I can
tell the animal control/humane societies, who already have their hands full
w/unwanted dogs & cats, & want anything to do w/ferrets, to go ahead &
euthanize the found ferrets...I only get one a week.  I would have to
question why a rescue would turn away sick, old, or unwanted ferrets.  If I
only accepted the young, adoptable ferrets, would I be any better than the
people getting rid of them.

It's always very easy for self-righteous individuals to pass judgement,
when they don't have to deal w/the problems that others endure.  For them
we are the tree in the forest.

My opinions are my own.

Juliana Quadrozzi, Foster Mom
GA Domestic Ferret Association