From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:40:32 -0400
Hi, Sarah,

If Ginger is a young kit, all I can say is that they have voracious
appetites, and yes, they poop a lot.  I do have some suggestions that
*may* help:

First, what is Ginger eating?  The denser the food, and the more nutrition
in it, the more that stays in the ferret and the less to poop out.  Our
first kit started on Marshall's food, which isn't bad nutritionally, but...
when we switched to Totally Ferret there was a huge difference, as in less
smell and less poop.  Also, we have one (Pertwee) who is recovering from
adrenal surgery and gets a lot of Bob Church's fantastic chicken gravy.  He
poops even less than normal.

Second, are you rewarding Ginger when you see her(?) poop in the right
place?  Reinforce good behavior.  That seems to help more than anything.

Third, take out the top levels of the cage and hang the hammock lower for
a while in case she's just lazy.  If that helps, gradually put things back
to normal after she gets into good habits.  Friends of mine did this with
their little guy, and it helped a lot.

Good luck!

All the best,
Caity