From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 06:52:54 -0700
>Subject: De-clawing + a reply to Dr Kemmerer's questions.
>Hey just a minute aren't you folks getting off the track - this isn't
>about whether or not Dr Kemmerer is a good veterinary surgeon which she
>she undoubtedly is.

>However, one thing I have realised is that if you don't like the fact that
>she is willing to undertake unnecessary surgical procedures you get a
>"rocket" when she tries to justify the act of de-scenting and de-clawing.

We have no idea what you mean by a "rocket".  But you are rather fanatical
about these procedures as you yourself admit.  We have told Dr Kemmerer we
weren't all that keen on declawing and it was just part of a calm
conversation.

Declawing and descenting are indeed a "maiming" of a ferret but the descent
is not really very "life changing".  The declaw is.  BUT with all the
complaints about ferret shelters getting overloaded perhaps if these
procedures prevent more overloading they aren't the really the end of the
world.  Dr Kemmerer is highly involved with helping shelters - more so than
any other vet we know.

>BTW ferrets do not appear to suffer trauma when they move homes

Maybe English ferrets suffer "shelter shock" far less than do American
ferrets.  With the high rates of adrenal problems IN US shelters compared
to the relatively lower rates elsewhere perhaps that is a sign that ferrets
do suffer when being moved about.  We have had at least one healthy ferret
suddenly die overnight all because it was dropped at our shelter.  Several
of us shelter operators are well aware of "shelter shock" and have
discussed it.

>I'm sorry if this post is rather strong but I feel very strongly when it
>comes to ferret welfare and I get upset when folk do terrible things to
>ferrets.

A point to remember.  No ONE person knows the absolute best for ALL ferrets.
We know we don't.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/