From:
"William M. Davidson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:45:41 -0600
I have not been active on the FML & FHL lately.  Instead, I have been
having fun with my fuzzies.  My fuzzies always get jealous when I sit at
the computer.

Back in 2001, Luigi was diagnosed with insulinoma.  We went the surgery
route.  Luigi had a hard recovery (mainly because we waited until he was
so weak) but bounced back and had a really good year before he left us.

Today, Hoppy was also diagnosed with insulinoma: Blood glucose 48.  Based
on the his previous parents information, he is only 3 years old.  A bit
on the young side for this aliment.  Our vet suspects he may be older.
She recommends treatment with Pediapred(5mg/5ml) 1ml/day for 2 days and
1 day off, by feeding frequently with duck soup/Bob C. Chicken Gravy,
and not doing the surgery.  She said she has never done this type of
surgery.  However, the vet who did Luigi's surgery is still in practice
and available.

I realize that the pediapred dosage will need to be increased as time
goes on.  I also remember reading about another drug that will replace
the prednisone when it becomes ineffective.

I know opinions regarding insulinoma are changing.  With Luigi I was told
_not_ to give anything with sugar type ingredients.  Now I understand
that the sweet ingredients in duck soup are OK.  In addition, Nutrical
can be given directly.

Generally speaking, is surgery still the recommended treatment?

Approximately, what would be the life expectancy of a pediapred/food
treatment verses surgery?

I would be very grateful to hear any experience of insulinoma with your
fuzzy.  Thanks in advance for taking the time to write to me.

--
William M. Davidson

1704 Blume, NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112
505 294 4571

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they
don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers