From:
Tysa Jayne Strait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 21:12:11 -0800
I have already written but needed to add this second note.  I'm am into
keeping my house free of toxins.  The only reason I own bleach is to go
over the counters after cutting up meat.  I also have used it in the past
to disinfect cages (for my mice and rat) but it was always thouroughly
rinsed afterwards.  In The Encyclopedia of country Living, Carla Emery
discusses eco-safe and harmless cleaning agents.  My favorite mention
happens to be Borax.  I would die, or at least live in a very dirty house
without this stuff.  I use it to scrub counters, sinks, bathtub, toilet,
and I even use it in the laundry to help clean clothes.  There is no odor
or fumes from Borax, just don't inhale the powder, but that's common sense.
It is mildly irritating to the skin if not rinsed well.  I am also a big on
Murphy's oil soap, which is nontoxic and we use it to mop the kid's room.
I've also used dish soap to mop their room.  I also use lye soap to wash
the kid's hammocks, blankets, and shirts.  I'm allergic to detergent and I
figure if it leaves red bumps on my body it could leave them on theirs too!

Hope this helps
Tysa