From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:54:46 -0600
HAND FEEDING PROBLEMS:

There are two quandaries about hand feeding a ferret that should be
discussed, and that the problem of ferrets who decide to only eat when
hand-fed, and what to do when they become "addicted" to foods hand-fed
to them.  These have happened to me nearly every time I resort to hand
feeding.  I hand feed them to restore their health, and then they won't
eat without hand feeding or they won't go back to their regular food!
The dilemma is that just stopping hand feeding could cause a relapse, and
the ferret is back in the hospital cage.  I cannot tell you why ferrets
do this, but I have worked out a way that weans them off the hand and
back to the dish that MIGHT succeed for you.  No promises!

First, hand feed on a REGULAR schedule.  I feed every 4 hours during the
day and evening, with an 8-hour hiatus during my sleep time.  I use an
alarm clock to insure I stick to this feeding schedule because it makes
weaning off the hand much easier later.  When the feeding regime has
accomplished its goals and the ferret is ready to be placed back with
their friends, just stop hand feeding them and see if they eat on their
own.  Be patient; they may not eat for some time (this is where using
the scales to check food consumption is extremely helpful -- they may
be snacking out of sight!).  If they won't start eating on their own by
the next day (if dehydrated, limit the wait to 8 hrs), go back to hand
feeding them, but start extending the time of the feedings by an hour
while at the same time mixing in small amounts of the normal diet in
the food.  Also, start placing FRESH portions of their normal diet in
the cage.  Each day add a bit more of the normal diet to the food and
extending the feeding times.  This technique will gradually wean the
ferret from hand feeding and the "sick diet" in all but the worst cases.
In the few cases where I couldn't wean ferrets off the hand, it didn't
matter to me because they had a terminal condition and hand feeding
allowed me more visiting time.

Bob C