From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:01:55 -0400
>Now here's the question: The vet prescribed Enulose (I believe this is a
>laxative) and unpasteurized pineapple juice for her.  Is this a solid
>treatment?  She really doesn't seem to be responding to it and she's still
>vomiting and grinding (though not as frequently).  Should I just tell the
>vet that I want him to remove the hairball surgically?  Any of your

I've used Regulan to help break up a blockage - it supposedly dissolves
the blockage and is a high power laxative.  I've only used it once and the
ferret was unblocked within 8 hours, but one of our other branches used it
three times (under vet direction of course) with great success.

I've never heard of the drug you mention (maybe it's another name for
Regulan?) or of giving pineapple juice for a blockage - can anyone explain
this to me?  Thanks.

Sounds like your little one is in extreme distress and something needs to
be done asap.  If you aren't comfortable with the Regulan, I would get her
in surgery right away.  Good luck!

Mary

Mary McCarty-Houser
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association