From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:51:47 -0400
There was a post a little while ago announcing a new mail list for
those who have adopted an Ohio rescue. I can't seem to locate it.
Would the poster kindly provide that link again? Thank-you!

My new little girl arrived to her forever home on the weekend after a
long trip with a 2 hour delay out of Logan due to winter storm. She
charmed the security personnel as I carried her in my arms through the
scanner while her kennel went through the scanning machine. No problem
getting her through Canada Customs on our arrival since her papers were
in order. She has not been descented but no poofing enroute.

I've named her Bellissima because she is 'most beautiful'. She loves
human companionship but is fearful of my other 5 ferrets. She wolfs her
food down to the point of choking when they are around and hisses and
snaps at them if they come near. A testimony to her horrible history. I
put her into a large playpen when she's out of her cage so she has her
own safe territory and the others can see and smell her from a safe
distance. I've let her explore the rest of the surroundings when the
rest are safely in their own cages. She sniffs, war dances and climbs
up my pant leg for cuddles.

She does not use the litter box except to play in it. I'm not sure she
knows what its for. I have no issue with this and simply clean up her
little plops where they fall.

I took her to my vet yesterday to get her stitches removed from her
spay surgery, which was done in MA. Amusingly she did not poof when
they were being removed but did poof when he placed her on the weigh
scales. A surprisingly pleasant sweet-smelling musk perfume.

Major progress was made last night when Tiramisu, my sweetest tempered
sprite, approached the border of Bellissima's playpen and Bellissima
poked her nose out and touched Tiramisu's without trying to take it off
or hissing at her. This is very promising that she may eventually
accept her new furry family. In time with lots of patience, TLC and
love I know she'll be fine.

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA ID PhD student,
Dalhousie University Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues in Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine