Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:20:04 -0800
>>A shelter operating out of a store front should expect to be treated
>>like a store.

>Interesting concept; sounds like a dirty word from the tone of your
>statement.  All of the humane societies in our area and in most areas
>of the US of A operate out of a store front,

I would stick with a description of the Humane society in your area, Sandi.

Most Humane Society areas I have seen are depressing, dingy looking,
government entities.  They no more look like a store front than my house
does.  I really despise the one here in Reno, even though it is clean and
well maintained.

I would agree with Bill and Diane Killian, that if I see a ferret in a
building that looks like a store, I am going to have a much different mental
attitude going in the front door than I would going into a building with
yapping dogs and mewling cats and smelling like a kennel, if I were looking
for a ferret to adapt or purchase.  I am going to have an even different
mental attitude if I go to a breeder's location to look for a ferret.

>You really don't get it do you!  I do NOT want to be in the shelter
>business!

Sorry, I don't buy this.  You weren't told, "YOU will be in the shelter
business." You did this of your own volition, either out of the kindness of
your heart or your deep commitment to our fuzzy friends.  (More than likely,
BOTH!) But, Sandi, YOU did this because you wanted to, or you would not have
done it.

Shelter people ~~ARE~~ special people..Sandi, I do not nor will I ever put a
shelter or shelter parent down.  You have a tough job and a very cost
escalating job.  Once in it, it would be hard to quit.  This I understand.

WE all need to be a bit more tolerant of each others 'desires'.  Bill and
Diane are breeders..and are ferret folk.  You are a shelter operator, and
ferret folk.  Our common interest, the loveable, mischievious ferret, has
grown in popularity to become, reportedly, the 3rd most popular companion
animal.  Both of you (all encompassing!) are going to fill an ever more
important niche in the domestic animal arena.

To all FML readers:

As one FML reader told me the other day, "We can agree to dissagree." but
there is no need to flame each other.  That is not the purpose of the FML.
Please remember, that this list is for the ferrets we love.  Let's try and
keep it that way!

MC  (Joe, The rude one)

[Moderator's note: I got a few unpostable notes about this today tho.
I think it's beginning to turn into a private dispute which isn't
appropriate for the list -- I'll probably be rejecting any further
posts about Sandi's shelter vs potential adopter.  BIG]