From:
MS LAURA L ELLIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 21:46:36 EDT
Hi FML-

Someone posted yesterday about their ferret making several trips to the
litter box in one session.  Gatsby does the same thing, she'll get ready,
hop in the box, squat, then get out, walk around for a second, then get
in, get out.....  I watched her one night repeat the get in get out
routine about 4 times.  All the "products" appear normal when she finally
does go, and I'd say about 75% of the trips to the box are without the
"preliminaries".  We had a possible blockage scare a few months ago, she
gets weighed every few weeks to make sure she isn't wasting away.  She is
gaining weight, and all other activities are normal.  She does do the
hack-cough thing every couple of days, but it is very infrequent.  Every
time I catch her doing it, and start monitoring her, she won't do it
again for another few days to a week.  She gets Laxatone 2x a week, so I
don't think the hacking is from hairballs.  Hacking was her only symptom
with the blockage scare, and with her continued weight gain and good
behavior, I am hesisant to take her in to the vet.  Should I still take
her in?  Are these two behaviors symptoms of a ferret disease?  Any
advice from the vets would be appreciated...

Also, I am still thinking about the ferret show this weekend... aside from
showering/changing clothes/spraying hands and shoes with Nolvalsan (would
Roccal-D be just as efficient?) are there any other precautions I should
take to prevent an attack of the green slimys?  The girls are upset that
they don't get to go, but so life goes with ECE around....

[Moderator's note: Roccal-D has more of a cleaning action than Nolvasan
so IMHO would be preferable.  But since I suppose neither has been tested
on the ECE virus who could tell anyhow... BIG]

Take Care Everyone!

Laura
Maggie
Gatsby