From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:24:43 -0500
Kim,
>The kids have been 10 times more fiesty than normal lately.  They know
>spring is in the air!

And I thought it was just mine.  Ours have been flying low for the past
couple of weeks; stealing everything in sight whether or not I'm still using
it right then or not.  Bouncing off the walls and tumbling down the stairs.
"Cleaning out" the pots and pan cabinets.  Running around the house with the
end of a formerly full roll of aluminum foil (amazing how far 50 feet of
foil goes).

Catherine,
>my vet told me that we have a similar "if it bites it gets euthanized
>law in Michigan.

Unfortunately that's true in most states.  NH, SC both have quarantine
periods established.  MD and FL are both working on laws to protect their
ferrets from Public Health.  Sounds like you need to start working on a
similar law there.  I do have an "info package" that we used in NH to get
the law passed.  Technical reports, statistics, etc., plus a few summaries
that I put together.  It's rather long/thick, but if you're interested, I
could run a copy of everything for you (about $10 for the copying and
mailing).  Let me know by email.

Anon CA Poster,
>They will only eat Purina Kitten Chow and Kal Can Beef wet food and it has
>to be done in the exact way (15sec.  with a little milk) or they turn their
>nose up at it and me.

Please don't take this as a flame.  It's meant as a suggestion.  You might
check the ingredient list on Purina Kitten Chow.  I don't have a bag of it
here but I seem to remember that it is not a poultry based food (maybe corn
or rice is the first ingredient).  I'm not sure, so please look.  If it's
not poultry and if the protein is not at least 32% and the fat about 20% or
more, you might want to consider slowly switching them over to Iams or
Excell or Science Diet Kitten food.  Mix in a few kibbles then a few more
every day.

Milk and dairy products are not digestable and can cause upset stomachs and
diarrhea.  Canned cat food is not too healthy as a study diet, but a little
bit every once in a while as a treat is fine.

Mark,
>I recently found out that there is a vet where I live that declaws ferrets.

I've heard of that too.  Personally I think that declawing a ferret cripples
them.  Their nails are more like your fingertips.  They use them for
walking, holding, balance.  Ferret claws are more like a dog's claws.  Most
vets wouldn't declaw a dog, and shouldn't declaw a cat.  Fortunately, at our
shelter in NH we've never seen a declawed ferret, and I hope we never do.

Adrienne,
>His favorite thing is to steal tea bags, rip them apart, then eat
>and roll in the leaves!

I've heard, and I hope someone can either verify this or tell me that it's
B.S., that anything with caffeen is not good for a ferret.  The story I
heard was the the caffeen stimulated a very rapid heartbeat, which is
already very high in a ferret.  Therefor it could cause death if consumed in
even moderate amounts.  Vets, please, True or False??

Dave and Judy,
>This past weekend my ferret, Tasslehoff Burrfoot, achieved his lifelong
>ambition and escaped into the outdoors.

I wish I had more hopeful news.  In general, ferrets don't do well in the
"wild".  People, dogs, cats, hawks, owls, plus lack of recognizable food all
go against their survival.  However, we've had ferrets found up to 7 days
after they excaped - very hungry and sick but alive.

You might try posting near places that kids congregate, and offer a reward.
Remember too, that it's not unusual to find ferrets several miles away from
where they belong, so don't restrict your postings to your neighborhood.

We're wishing you the best.

Gina,
>Moral of the Story: Be extra careful about those open windows.  Be sure
>that they have screens.

I'd like to add to your advice about screens.  The fiberglass ones will hold
a determined ferret (and what other kind are there?) for about 10 seconds if
that long.  Their nails will go through it in one swipe.  The metal ones may
hold it long enough for you to hear the scratching - about 10-15 minutes in
our experience.  Often they'll give up before getting through.

Niki,
>He hardly has any teeth, can't eat dry food and is so small that he
>can't really do anything.

As you found out, the very young ferrets need to have their food moistened
for a few weeks until their new teeth are in and their jaws are a bit
stronger.  By the time they are 8-10 weeks you might want to add less and
less water until they are eating the dry food.

I don't understand either, why some of these farms and breeders take ferrets
so young.  I'd like to see them all at least 8 weeks old before they are
taken.

Dick B