From:
Amy Lotto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1993 16:37:05 -0500
  I have very little experience dealing with an ill ferret and my
condolences to all of you who must go through that, but I have had sick
animals of all kinds, guinea pigs, rabbits, a duck, dogs, cats, a donkey
:)  a turtle.  Tyler--  I don't know how often you try to feed Ayla but
if she will only take a small amounts at a time, have you tried feeding
her every half an hour or so?  I know that seems very tedious but if she
is as bad off as that maybe she needs that kind of attention.  You say
she is drinking readily.  You might be able to use this to your
advantage.  You might try mixing a glucose solution in with her water.
Maybe some of the rest of you know or have heard of this, but there is
also some kind of supplement they give to babies and children with
diarrhea.  It has some kind of salt in it that makes them thirsty as well
as the glucose and then they will drink more.  I am definately not
recommending this, but does anyone know if this might not be a
possibility?  I am curious as to what the vet recommends?  Does he want
Ayla to come in and get an IV treatment?  I know that it can seem really
cruel to 'stick' and animals but there are some big advantages to it, one
of those being that it might get enough nutrition back in her so that she
would actually feel a little more like eating and have the energy to do so.

  On this side, Cleo is doing very well, aside from the fact that she
threw a little temper tantrum this morning.  I have a bunch of seed pots
inside and she discovered them the other day.  "Heh, heh, yeah, dirt!  wee!"
This morning I found her rooting her little snout in one of them and
picked her up and told her no!.  She promptly bit me on the nose and
jumped out of my arms.  I picked her up again and she twisted and
wriggled, so I decided it was time for her to go back in her cage.  She
ran into her box to sulk.  Then a bit later when we let her out with the
rabbit, she jumped on Bump's back and rode her around like a horse until
Bump jumped two feet up into her cage and lost Cleo.  Cleo has not behaved
like that for a while, I hope she is not turning into a little rebel.  So
Cleo is at home having quiet time instead of going to the park with us
this afternoon   :)   I think maybe she just realizes its getting to be
spring.  This week the transition will be complete and she will have free
run  of our room all day every day.  I hope it works out, I think she will
be much happier for it.  We are also going to see about getting another
ferret as soon as we  get Cleo to the vet here.

Good lucck to you all with your ferret friends and I certainly hope all
the little sick ones have quick recoveries.

Amy and Cleo