From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:31:22 -0600
I have to agree with U.F.O. there are people on the FML that just don't
understand the way most of the shelters are working.  We are highly
dependent on the donations that just don't seem to be coming in.  We have
several different vets that are working with us, but we are in debt to for
over $2000 a piece.  Our food bill is about $2000-$3000 dollars a month
which we are covering by selling out to adoptive parents so we get them
started the right way with the right kind of food.  Volunteers are making
ferret items for us, for so we can at least try to meet our monthly bills.
As far as vacations the closest we have come to a good vacation inthe past
six months is a stay in a local motel away from the shelter (which is also
our home--at least 1/4 of it) and that was after Randy got out of the
hospital.  We stil have over a dozen adrenal surgeries awaiting to see the
vet.  That seems to be the main reason for surrendering your ferret now
adays.  We have 2 ten year olds at the shelter, one is blind and totally
lovable, he is eating his Totally Ferret softened and completely refuses
to eat if it is not there.  Won't stop following you around the Sick Room
until it is put in front of him in his cage.  The other ten year old has
trouble controlling his back leg muscles and bowels, he is also very
lovable and follows us around the room until it is time for hime togo back
in his cage.  Both love to give plenty of kisses and loves.  It's these
kids that anser the question of why we do what we do day in and day out,
after 8-10 hour daily jobs, and why that main paycheck goes to the shelter
expenses rather than a new boat or that long awaited vacation.  People
think about it we are giving our whole lives to make life easier and giving
love to unwanted, abandoned, ill, and terminally ill ferrets.  I guess I
may be starting to ramble on now or stating to sound like I'm whining, but
I'm not.  If you really believe in what the shelters and rescues are doing
is good let them know either financially or by volunteering your time and
skills to help the operators.  And if you really don't know find a shelter
or rescue near you and find out how you can help.

Gloria Horton
Director/Especially Ferrets, INC
www.especiallyferrets.org