From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:16:55 -0400
Lisa wrote:
>I've got to dig back through my records, but we have had a couple that
>come right to mind that exhibited many signs of Waardenburg --
>Morticia,  ...age 5 of lymphosarcoma.
>Nico,  ...died of Lymphosarcoma at age 4.
>Yod He Vawhe, ...He died of an unknown illness (probably IBD) at age 5.
>I hope that this helps -- I have had others that I believe are carrying
>the WS gene - but they are still alive.

Yes, Lisa, it is interesting to learn, though sad.  Wouldn't it be just
HORRIBLE if breeders who are increasing the proportion of "fancies" in
their breeding populations and breeding those with the allele to each other
are increasing the probability of early death, or early susceptibility to
medical problems?  Could it be that part of the medical problem increase
seen in the U.S.  may be such?  Since the fancies HAVE been selected FOR
strongly by a number of breeders, that could also possibly (note possibly)
have something to do with the increase in some health problems.  It would
be an interesting project for a research vet or a vet student to see if or
in what measure Waardenburg characteristics relate to such things.  You,
know, it's even something a good sized ferret club could possibly do by
have ALL members list ALL ferrets by characteristics and then follow them
through to death keeping records.

This sounds like among Carla's crew, Lisa's crew, and our's EVERY ferret
with Waardensburg markings who has passed away died young.  Our 'Chopper
was the oldest here at 6 and a touch.  Usually, our ferrets are at least
7, and typically in late 7 to early half of the 8th year here.

Could others, please, let us all know (by posting here) about the ages
at which your ferrets with WS characteristics passed away, and details
(whether young, middle aged, or old)?  Not all ferrets with Waardenburg
markings are deaf or fully deaf, and not all deaf ferrets have Waardenburg,
though among ferrets (unlike humans) it is a COMMON cause of deafness.  The
characteristics can include some of the following: panda markings (white
head), blaze markings (white forehead or cranial streak), dark eyed white,
wide set eyes, color diminished eyes...

It may be very good for all of us that Carla first noticed this pattern in
her home setting.

In the meantime, perhaps people with ferrets that have WS characteristics
should be a bit extra vigilant with them, just to be on the safe side
till more is known.  A bit of extra caution never hurts when a picture
is unsure.  Remember that the numbers are too small and not randomly or
carefully enough sampled and compared to know if there is anything useful
in this, yet.  Could be a wild goose chase.