From:
Shelby Kimura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:51:53 -0600
I have just returned from a trip to France.  I have been there before so
I was not interested in seeing all of the regular touristy sights but I
really wanted to see French ferrets...and I did.

I would like to thank F.R.E.E. (Furets, Rongeurs, Etc, Etc... aka Ferrets,
Rodents, Etc, Etc...) for letting me visit their shelter, and for taking
such good care of the numerous animals under their care.  You can visit
their website at www.refugenac.com

Prior to my trip, I suspected that the French ferrets would be as large
as those I met when visiting with the ferrets of Geelong Ferret Rescue in
Victoria, Australia.  I was wrong; the French ferrets are quite similar
in size to those in North America.  If you were to ask me which ones were
the cutest, that is simply far too difficult...

I do not want to speak on behalf of F.R.E.E., who I don't think are FML
members as of yet, but I would like to share the things I've learned from
them since some of you may find learning more about the ferret situation
around the world a very interesting aspect of ferrets.

This rescue, as its name states, takes care of more animals than ferrets.
I saw a cage of hamsters, about 30 (or so) rats, about 20 degus, 5 or 6
chinchillas, about 10 rabbits, one guinea pig, and 3 dogs in addition to
their 60-70 ferrets.  There were two litters, one that was 4 weeks old,
and one that was 8 weeks old.  Apart from the quarantine area, and the
jills with their litters, the ferrets are in two groups.  One group goes
out into the ferretproofed backyard in the morning, and the other group
goes out in the afternoon.  I helped with the nail cutting and as soon
as I was finished the ferrets went right back to sleep!  I tell you they
were some tired ferrets!!!  The group that remains inside is not caged,
but is kept in a room with a number of sleep boxes in every nook and
cranny.  These ferrets did not know they were in a shelter.  Now,
please I am not condemning those who are not able to have this set-up,
regardless of reason - health concerns, management, shelter space, or
number of ferrets in shelter.  I was just really impressed at this
shelter and with Cecile, a girl my age (I think), who is working very
hard at keeping all of these animals happy as her full-time job.  Her
father and her started the rescue a very short time after getting their
first ferret, only two years ago.

From what I could understand, (her english was really good, my french has
diminished over the years, but some words still may have been
misinterpreted...) they do not have ferret knowledgeable vets in their
area.

And again, if I understood correctly, the vets in the area are not
comfortable doing ferret spays...and so intact females are bred.  I have
three years until I finish vet school...perhaps I can make a trip back.
Anybody willing to donate the funds for a mobile ferret spay/neuter
clinic?! ;)  Ferret vet, will travel.

I do have a website, and have uploaded the pictures of my visit to
F.R.E.E.  I also have pictures from my visit with the Geelong Ferret
Rescue on the site.  You can even read about the really accurate and up
to date things I learned about ferrets in vet school.  You know, things
like how we should keep them in shavings...No wonder there are not as
many ferret knowledgeable vets as there should be...

My website is www.geocities.com/slurpeegirlca

I do have to say that after living in North America and meeting many
of you, and being fortunate enough to visit ferrets in Australia and
France... ferret people who are genuinely dedicated to the cause, no
matter where they are in the world, are great, and understand that
sometimes ya just need a fix - just one little smell... I miss their
smell, or "perfume" as Jerome at F.R.E.E. calls it.

I think I'll hit New Zealand next...I watched a NZ program about
controlling tuberculosis in NZ, and about killing the feral ferrets and
possums as part of the solution.  Even though the program was produced by
an animal health company who was promoting their products (and was
therefore more of a marketing scheme than an objective explanation) it
was all very interesting and yet one more ferrety aspect to learn about!

Shelby Kimura
Not a vet...yet!
www.ferrets.ca