From:
"Bill Gruber, FML Moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 02:15:24 EST
I can't believe this FML -- there are more highly controversial topics
together in this one issue than I can ever recall.  Previews and comments
follow.   But first, let me remind people that while highly ferret-specific
posts are acceptable even if they provoke debate, off-topic posts will be
gently rejected, as will any "flames".

Let's see:
We have a couple of posts about ethoxyquin.  This is a funny additive.  Most
say it's a preservative.  Some say it causes cancer.  Others say it prevents
cancer.  From other sources I understand there are charges that the
manufacturer submitted flawed studies to the FDA and it should never have
been approved for use.  Some point out why the studies should be valid.  I
guess my point here is that the E word has been debated on and off the FML
for years.  If any of you have stories specific to ferrets, by all means
feel free to mention them.  Otherwise I think I will have to call an end to
the debate fairly soon.  In practice, perhaps due to popular demand, most
pet food makers seem to be phasing out use of the product anyhow (though it
may enter the chain further upstream), so perhaps the debate is moot.

Also today we have a post about the pet food industry.  People have tried to
post about the "Food Pets Die For" book before and I've always rejected the
posts as being off-topic.  We've been talking about food so much lately that
I'm letting it through as an informational item, but any discussion has to
be VERY specifically about ferrets -- I greatly fear this will turn ugly
otherwise.  I'm pretty familiar with the book, but will leave the details to
your discovery, though to quell some panic I will point out that many people
argue many companies are rather strict about where their meat is purchased
and hopefully avoid some of the situations discussed.

Let's see... a post suggesting ferret shows can be horror shows is rather
interesting.  I viewed the first attempt at that post as a personal attack
and it was toned down some.  I think some issues brought up haven't been
thoroughly discussed on the FML previously and I hope if you choose to do so
that any discussion will be kept factual.

And finally, the controversy about "Winston", the ferret that was brought
out in public in California to make a point, rages on.  I received many
comments about this.  ALL of them except a followup from the original poster
thought it was a really bad idea, but most posts were so strongly worded
that I couldn't post them!  One strongly worded one, sent from micron.net,
contained a bogus return address.  I don't remember any issue since Kodo
where there was such a strong outpouring of uniform opinon.  In any event,
the people have spoken and the topic is now closed unless new information
is contained in the posts.

Well, there you have it.  All of the above mentioned posts are at the
end of the FML in case you wish to skip them.

Bill