From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:25:44 -0500
Ferret Wise Shleter will be sarting it's third year of chipping ferrets who
are adopted out.  This is done for a numer of reasons-- first to clearly
track those vaccinated and to make sure they are not overvaccinated if they
re enter the shelter under a different name / or through a different owner.
The most enticing thing is once the ferret is microchipped and the
vaccination and ID number are on file withthe vet-- there is no disputing
that the ferret ( or other animal) has been vacinated IF a nip incident
should cause concern.  We see this as a win/win situation.

The microchips on ferrets are inserted through a needle in the area between
the shoulder blades.  It is a quick pinch as any shot and only on a very few
occasions have we ever seen a drop of blood.  IT IS advised to keep the
ferret in confined area for 4-6 hrs after insertion of the microchip ( in a
carrier etc.).  This ensures that the healking process ( scarring) can begin
and that the ferret will not move the chip about after insertion.

Those requiring any more information on microchipping ferrets can feel free
to email at the above address.

fondly in ferrets
alicia
a shelter MOM