From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:11:34 -0400
I wrote the FML over a week ago concerned about my ferret having
diabetes.  My little panda of almost 4 1/2 years old, Sarah has been
confirmed with diabetes.  She has been on insulin, Humulin NPH, 2x daily,
since Wednesday and on a special diabetic cat food by Purina called DM
which I am grateful for that she loves.  At first she was sleeping all
the time but I have noticed her awake more often and a little more
active.  She drinks tons of water.  Her quality of life seems to be the
same for which I am grateful and she is such a wonderful little patient.
She just sits there while I inject her with the insulin.

I cannot THANK YOU PEOPLE on the FML enough for writing me with so much
information about diabetes and about your experiences with your ferrets.
I THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!  This list is WONDERFUL when you have a problem,
people come together and help out!  What a wonderful group of people.
Before I posted on the FML, everything I had heard about diabetes in a
ferret was doom and gloom.  After posting and receiving emails, I could
not believe all the good news!  I told my vet and gave her the info and
we are on our way to treating Sarah.

Sarah goes back in a week for another glucose curve test to see where
she is with her sugar level, etc.  We will adjust her insulin or try a
new one till we get it right.  My vet has not decided yet whether I will
be testing with a blood glucose meter or urine test strips, will know
after the next test.

My heart goes out to all of you who have lost babies.  My sincere
condolences.  May it help knowing all of us on this list honestly care
and know the horrible feeling of losing one.

I have some new ferret angels of different colors (including chocolate
sable and siamese) and a new item called the Ferretfly which is a Ferret
fairy.  My husband has put them on Ebay.  You can take a peek by clicking
on these links or going to Ebay and Click on search and go to "by seller"
and type in name, minkey98.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3691669013
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3691913041
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4316280591