From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 02:32:08 +0800
There recently has been two confirmed cases of Insulinoma in ferrets in
Western Australia.

One ferret had been suffering from seizures for about a year (the owner was
urged to do a fasting blood glucose test, but never did it).  Recently, the
ferret went into a coma and died.  The vet did a necropsy on the ferret
(this was the vet that I use) and there were several pancreatic tumours
sighted.  The ferret was female, but I am unaware of her age or if she
was desexed.

The other ferret is a male - desexed (late alter) - of 6 years of age.  His
owner is very attentive and rushed him in for tested when it was noticed
the ferret was wobbly on his hind end.  A fasting blood glucose test
confirmed the diagnosis.  This ferret will start on Pred.

It is thought that diseases such as Insulinoma or Adrenal are not found
frequently in Australia - particularly in Western Australia.  However - I
am starting to wonder.  I have heard of 3 other cases in the past year.