From:
Dennis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 02:18:56 -0700
Amy Goldman wrote about Odin, whose personality changed when Thor came home.

A similar thing happened when we added ferrets with Grendel.  The first two
added ferrets, Gilbert and Miss Lily, were kits, and very mild-tempered ones
at that.  So Grendel kicked their butts and all was well.

Later, a friend gave us Boomer, a very sturdy, take-no-crap kind of ferret.
Grendel was very persistent, but after several weeks of trying, he finally
gave up on trying to dominate Boomer (who outweighs him a little, but mainly
is very muscular).  Since then, he'll still play with the other ferrets a
bit, but I think Boomer depresses him.  He still loves to play with me.

My friend Todd, in contrast, took Seldon (his slugly 3.5 lb male) to meet
potential playmates at Ferrets Northwest (a shelter).  Dors, a stubby little
female that got picked on by most of the other ferrets, chose Seldon.  After
Dors followed Seldon around the room for 20 minutes, it was clear that he
intrigued her.  At first he was indifferent to her, but now they're good
friends.

If it's possible, I'd suggest letting your ferret(s) choose his or her new
playmate.  Todd took Seldon to neutral ground at Ferrets Northwest, which
seemed to be a good meeting place.

Happy Ferreting!
Dennis