Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:23:18 -0600
MC brought up some good points in his last post.  I have to agree that
we have to look at what is in the best interest of the animals we look
after.  And if that means feeding a food that we personally find gross,
then we need to find a way to deal with it if we truly have their
interests at heart.

The issue of feeding dead or live prey to ferrets has long been debated
with people on both sides defending their feelings.  As a person who
abhors animal cruelty of any sort, I know it may seem contradictory that
I would be so willing to sacrifice the life of another creature to feed
the one I am caring for.  Believe me, I debated this situation in my own
mind for a very, very long time.  But I have to look at my time spent at
the zoo I used to work at.

For many of you who have visited a zoo, you will remember that there is
quite a variety of species represented behind the walls and cages.  It is
a zoo keeper's job to provide these animals with not only their dietary
needs, but their mental and physical needs as well.  We don't have to be
geniuses to figure out that a zoo does not represent only herbivores.

The big cats (tigers, lions, jaguars, etc.) for example, are all fed a
diet of meat.  As compassionate individuals, we know that they have to
eat meat, but we don't necessarily want to know what they are eating.
Zoo's have to order their meat as they could not possibly meet the demand
of feeding all the carnivores and omnivores within their care on meat
raised on the grounds.  This meat comes from various places.  And these
animals eat a variety of foods.  Perhaps we don't want to know that they
get fed horse meat when we love horses so much.  The sad reality is that
horses are slaughtered just like cattle and thus there is always meat to
go around.

A zoo's purpose is multifold.  They act as guardians for those that would
have otherwise been killed.  They act as conservationists by maintaining
and perpetuating species that would have long since died by way of human
mass slaughterings.  A zoo is the last chance and hope that a lot of
these animals will ever have.  Today's zoo provide them with environments
that are more in keeping with what they would be living in if they were
still in the wild.  If we want to do these animals justice, we cannot
feed them dog food when that is not what they would be eating in the
wild.  ANother example of diet comes from our amphibian friends... one
of the many species of the poison arrow frog which has to eat fire ants
in order to maintain the beautiful coloring it has on its underside,
necessary in nature for protection.  The zoo keeper found out that by
feeding regular ants, the colouring disappeared.  If they are to look
after them properly, they need to feed them the right foods.

There will come a day when there is the scientific data to prove the
benefits of a particular diet to our furry friends but it won't change
the feelings of those that cannot deal with feeding their ferrets a
natural diet.  In the animal kingdom, many animals are at the bottom of
the food chain.  But there are many animals higher in the ranks that
still become food for other animals.  In nature, that is their purpose.
That is survival.

I understand that it is hard for some of us to look at our beloved
companions and think of them doing unspeakable things, but we also have
to remember that when we took in these animals that we play the same role
that zoo keepers do.  We are here to look after their needs and provide
for them as best as we can.

When we choose to follow in the footsteps of those that see the benefits
of diet different from what we are taught, it is not wrong.  But it is
also not wrong to feel for the creatures that will be sacrificed for
food.  One day I may make the step to transition from feeding dead mice
to live mice to my ferrets.  And when that day comes, I will be my own
judge and jury as I deal with my own feelings at the time.  No one else
will make that judgment for me.

In the meantime, regardless of what you feed your ferrets (provided it
is high quality), just continue to love them and provide stimulating
environments for them.  Give them plenty of exercise and half the battle
of prolonging their lives will have already been won.

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets