Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:06:52 -0400
I received a female sable for a Christmas gift.  We've had her for around
four months.  She is still small and needs a lot of training.  However, she
is old enough to be litter box trained already.  We have to keep her locked
up in a cage a majority of the time, just so that she will not go on the
carpet.  She indiscriminately takes a poop anywhere she is standing.  It
doesn't have to be in a corner.  We've tried punishing her with cage time
whenever she does this, but it just isn't getting the point across.  We've
litter boxes everywhere in the area they play in and she still does it.  My
boyfriend (we own the ferrets together) wants to give her away, but I'm not
ready for that yet.  BUT he will do it if we can't teach her.

My male ferret we've had for almost two years was litter trained at around
two months.  He very rarely goes anywhere but his litter box.  It just doesn
seem like Minnie is going to ever do it.  Does anyone have any suggestions
at all?  If so, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks so much,
April, Jason, Minnie and Seth