From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:31:14 -0600
Our Charlie and Gizzie are both highly allergic to spider bites.  After
rushing Charlie to the vet 5 times for a shot we finally talked with our vet
and worked out an emergency treatment plan.  Our first step is giving 1/4 -
1/2 cc of childrens Benedryl and monitoring very closely.  The problem with
allergic reactions is that they can go from bad to worse to critical in a
relatively short time.  If the Benadryl doesn't relieve the symptoms, which
takes from 30-45 minutes, then depending on symptoms we administer 1 cc
orally of Pediapred or if they have breathing difficulty then we have an
injection to give.  The key is to know when to give the injection.

The location of the sting/bite is important because if it is in the face or
neck area the swelling can cause an airway blockage.

Never leave a ferret alone that is having an allergic reaction.  Monitor
them closely for several hours.  They will be exhausted when the crisis is
over and sleep.  I check them several times just to make sure everything is
o.k.

For minor reactions, Pediatric Benadryl has worked well for us.

Future allergic reactions can be either more or less severe.

Allergic reactions can become life-threatening very quickly.
Visit with your veterinarian about the best plan for your situation.

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy, prosperous new year.  Hugs to all. tle