From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 12:31:57 -0500
Hi

CAGE FLOORS
Meg wrote:
>I have read in many books that a cage for you fuzzie should not have the
>grid exposed... So I have taken towels and bedded down the upper floor for
>Frankie... Now we did use the shreded paper for frankie but now I hear that
>is bad... the wood pellets i guess I could fill the tray up and then pile
>it in thru the door so it is all over the floor or..... DO YOU HAVE ANY
>SUGGESTIONS..

I'm glad to hear that you're covering Frankie's cage floor- his feet will
thank you!  : )

It sounds as though you're not using a litter pan.  If not, I recommend that
you purchase either a litter pan or an inexpensive "tupperware" container to
use as a litter pan.  Fill it with the wood pellets (or any other safe
litter of your choice), and put it in Frankie's favorite bathroom corner.
More likely than not, he will use the litter pan without any prompting.  To
help him get the idea, try leaving a "sample" in the pan for him, and give
him a treat when you see him use the litterbox.  Frankie may dig in the pan
a little at first, but this is usually a "phase" that passes, especially
once the pan has been used.  If he decides to pull the pan around the cage,
try clamping it to the cage using spring clamps (they look like big
clothespins and are available at most hardware stores).

For easy cleanup, cover the cage floor with linoleum.  You can usually
purchase remnants (or get them for free) at a carpeting store.  Linoleum
wipes up easily with a damp rag.

Best wishes,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
[log in to unmask] (home-preferred) or