Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:19:19 -0500
To anyone that is thinking of sedating a ferret for a trip, in my opinion
it is totally unnecessary.  A couple years ago when I moved back to Canada
from Atlanta, Juliana Quadrozi accompanied me, my cat and eight ferrets for
the ride.  I rented a Ryder truck and drove it myself, with my car tagging
along behind on a trailer.  This whole unit was 55 ft. long.  What a trip.
It should have taken 6 days, it took two weeks.  The truck broke down
constantly and on one occasion we had to unload the truck and move
everything to another one.  I had originally rented a truck with a back
seat just to accomodate my large ferret cage.  When we had to trade trucks
they could not get me one like this and we had to settle for what we could
get.  I had to put 8 ferrets in two hammocks in a small guinea pig cage
between us on the front (and only) seat.  You have never seen such little
troopers.  Flye would lay there and stare at us and sigh, "Mom I am so
bored".  Other than that they were great.  Every night we stayed at a
motel 6 because they are pretty well all the same and once you have ferret
proofed one, you have done them all.  Other than the fact they have no
toilet seats (put large luggage on seat with inverted chair on top, do not
get up in the night to go), they are very easy to fert proof.  Ziggy was
alive then and he was the true test, you just followed him around for a
while and you found every nook and cranny.

Juliana was such a good sport when everyone got in bed with her to watch
t.v., and nipped every unprotected spot she had.

I think ferrets are probably the only animal that thinks moving and
travelling is a great adventure.  You know how excited they get when you
move the furniture around.

So don't sedate them, let them enjoy the trip as much as you do.

. Pat and the wrecking crew  .
. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  .
.     icq# 22242608          .